Working from home can be just as professional and efficient as working from an office. In fact, many successful businesses are led and managed from a home office. However, it is not enough to claim your living room sofa as your workplace, as distractions will eat up your time, demotivate you, and you won’t be able to draw the line between work and personal life.
Having a professional yet personalized work corner or room will allow you to declutter your mess, and create the perfect work zone from the comfort of your own home. To catch up on this lifestyle here are 8 must-haves:
- A PROPER Desk Chair: If nothing else, invest in a good chair. It’s not cheap, yet it should be a priority. Your posture and body are important, yet so many home-workers make do with dining room chairs. Do your research, and find the best option within your budget! A good chair is an investment to your comfort, and being comfortable makes life so much better and efficient.
- Adjustable desk: A Work Desk allows you to switch between a standing and seated position while working. It is a great way to get more movement which will help you burn a few more calories, have better circulation, and according to studies increase productivity. It also plays the role of fixing the designated place to build your work zone around it, and not spread around your work equipment randomly around the house.
- Magnetic Whiteboard: Creating a dynamic vision board around your desk will help you visualize the purpose and the tasks you want and have to achieve. It will help redirect your thoughts in case of daydreaming and distractions. A whiteboard will also help you brainstorm and dump your thoughts the way you would dump them on a colleague, only it won’t forget. Advice: start your day by refreshing a to-do checklist on the board to hold yourself accountable.
- A 2in1 Headset: Another important investment is a good-old noise-canceling headphone set to set your mood for the day. Whether it be by listening to relaxing music or a motivational podcast, it is important to not isolate yourself in silence, but rather have a good sound system. Moreover, there is no way out of online calls and meetings, and there is nothing more infuriating than not being able to communicate your thoughts because of the laptop’s audio problems. Which is why it is necessary to have a good mic as part of your headset.
- A coffee maker: While you might not pass by your favorite cafe on your way to the office, you should still be enjoying the perfect cup of coffee in the morning. Having your own coffee maker will save you time in the morning, and will still allow you your regular coffee breaks during the workday. PS: Place it at least 2 rooms away from where you work desk is.
- Digital Clock/App: It is important to set regular working hours especially working from home. It is easy to get swept away in the process and forget what time it is without seeing your coworkers packing around you. Setting alarms on your digital clock helps remind you of when you should be hustling and when you should step away.
- Stationary Station: We are no longer in the office, which means no more “borrowing” pens and clips from your coworkers. Try having your own little stationery cupboard with all the basic necessities for you. PS: Include color in your post notes, pens, and markers for a less traditional work vibe.
- And finally, Get an office plant: Growing yourself a house plant is very low-maintenance but provides a remarkably soothing influence on a busy workspace. That natural added element leads to less stress and improved focus. If you are too lazy to grow one from scratch, get yourself a plant that’s already been grown, extend the love and reap the benefits of dubizzle’s Garden section.