Color is a very important design element as it can play a big role on an individual both mentally and physically. For years colour has been used to create a sense of coziness and spaciousness within an interior.
Color can portray all sorts of ambiance: elegance, serenity, warmth or liveliness.
If you are seeking a specific ambiance for your living space then colour can help you set that mood; if you manage to use it effectively that is.
Here are a few steps to help you get started:
1. The color wheel
A color wheel can help you identify warm and cool colors.
Warm colors such as red, orange and yellow help set a vivid energetic mood.
Cool colors such as blue, green and purple having a soothing, calming effect.
2. Tints, shades and tones
After selecting your chosen color think about the tint, shade and tone.
Add white to your chosen color/hue to create a tint.
Add black to your chosen color/hue to create a shade.
Add grey to your chosen color/hue to create a tone.
3. Colour harmony
It is important to create harmony within your space. We can’t have too many colours clashing together. Therefore try to select colour schemes. Take a look back at your colour wheel.
Complementary Colors: Only use this scheme when you want something to stand out. Don’t use in large measures. Example: red and green.
Analogous Colors: These are the colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. These colors are probably your best option as they are usually pleasing to the eye and create a sense of harmony.
Triadic Colors: Form a triangle on your color wheel. These colors are evenly spaced out. One color dominates while the other two are balanced. Example: orange, violet and green.
There are many more color schemes that you can take into consideration.
4. Extra tips
- Create the illusion of space with bright colors.
- Warm up your space with deep tones such as brown, maroon and dark beige. These colors are great during cold climates.
- Cool off with tints of blues and greens. This will help your space feel fresh, cool and clean.
- For your bedroom try to opt for a relaxing colour. Consider shades of green, blue or even lilac.
- Stay away from red if you have high blood pressure.
- Yellow gives off a sense of optimism and could be a pleasing colour to use in your kitchen. It’s best to add some tints or shades to obtain that ideal hue.
- Not sure what to paint the walls of your home office? Go for tints or shades of green as green aids with concentration.
Take a look at Pinterest dubizzle for some more inspiration on colors.
Still not keen on painting your walls? You can still add color to your living space by hanging some lovely colorful paintings. Take a look at a few paintings on dubizzle.
Feeling inspired to make changes to your home?